Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Scary Story From the perspective of Sarah Miller




This Happened Last Saturday. I thought it interesting to from Sarah's Perspective!








At about 8:30 I was just finishing up cleaning my kitchen and getting ready to go watch the end of the Phoenix/Calgary game when I hear this knocking outside on my balcony. I froze, not totally sure of what I had heard at first, but it happened again…and then again. I peaked out of my curtains (they were shut) to see a guy standing on the balcony next to mine waving at me. Uh, creepy.
So of course, I called my Dad who stayed on the phone with me while I poked my head out to see what the guy wanted. The conversation went something like this:
Me: “Hi?”Drunkface Neighbor: “Heeeeeeeyyyyyyy! Are you guys partying in there?”Me: “…um, no.”Drunkface Neighbor: “Oh…You wanna go for a swim?”Me: “NO!”…(slams door in face)
I figured that would be the end of it, but my Dad stayed with me on the phone to calm me down. It is scary to be bugged by some random old drunk guy when you are a girl by yourself! He could be totally harmless, but how do I know? I’ve never seen him before!
All was quiet on the Western front for about five minutes. And then the banging started. The guy banged on my balcony railing for a good twenty minutes, each time increasing my freakout. My poor dad who was still on the phone listening to my rising hysteria told me to go out and tell him to stop the banging and leave me alone. Which I did…only to notice that this gross disgusting old drunk man was totally and completely nekkid!!
My natural reaction was to run away, so I slammed my patio door and retreated into my bathroom, which is the furthest point in my apartment from the balcony. For a few minutes after I told him to stop banging he did, but then it started up again. At this point, my Dad suggested that I might want to think about calling someone to come over, just so I wouldn’t have to be by myself anymore. I called my cousin-in-law JC first, but it turns out that he was in Victoria. I think the panic in my voice alarmed him though because he called Stephanie right away and told her what was going on. As I was in the middle of dialing my other cousin’s number, Stephanie phoned me back and announced that she was coming over, despite being down at Granville Island having dinner with her friend from out of town. Naturally, I started bawling for not only my ruined Saturday night but hers. This whole time the guy was still banging on my balcony railing.
Steph and her friend told me that I needed to call the cops. I was really reluctant to because my limited experiences with the RCMP in Burnaby have not been good, and I wasn’t really sure if it was a call-the-cops type situation. Really, he hadn’t done too much wrong other than to scare the crap out of me and stand outside on his balcony naked. So I called the non-emergency line and asked the lady who answered what to do and she put me through to 911.
The next 20 minutes were agonizing as I sat on my couch and waited for Stephanie and the cops to arrive. I alternated between pacing around my apartment and drinking about 18 glasses of water and then the cops and Stephanie arrived at the same time and from that point on it was ok. They talked to him, all three cops were very understanding and nice about it: told me I had done the right thing by calling them, etc. Stephanie and Laura stayed for awhile, partly to calm me down but partly I think because Stephanie wanted to kick some ass if the guy started banging again (she wanted to go down to her car and put on her high heels, but Laura stopped her).



By the time Stephanie and Laura left I was totally and completely exhausted from crying and pacing around my apartment, but I didn’t sleep very well. I talked to the landlady the next day and she went over and talked to him too, and I haven’t seen him since. The whole thing, although it’s kind of a funny story now was very traumatizing and scary at the time! But at least it made for a good blog entry.
If anyone has ever watched Friends... This gives a whole new meaning to the "Ugly Naked Guy."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

She didn't meantion the male cop you both thought was hot! Oh and the gorgeous girl cop. I didn't think female cops were allowed to be attractive or wear make-up. Oh sorry that might have been mean but she was really pretty.

Stephanie said...

She was really pretty and I just want you to know that I only was looking at that guy for SARAH's Sake....

okay thanks...

Its not my fault I LOOK out for the best intrests of my cousin lol...literally

Anonymous said...

haha...

I am still insulted that I never got called. First a car break down, then a creapy balcony stalker! What, am I completely useless??

haha... just buggin you sarah! But, if I was there, I would have definatly kicked some naked guy ass pastor style ;0)

Mama said...

tell me more about the cop....
:-D

Stephanie said...

MOMMA! Bad dog!

Anonymous said...

hey steph you should post an exert from your upcoming book, just to get some buzz going

Christina said...

It is a very good thing that you didn't end up in yaletown at barnone.....Jesus works in mysterious ways sometimes!